The curators of the MIT Shakespeare Electronic Archive (http://web.mit.edu/shakespeare/, directed by Peter S. Donaldson, Professor of Literature at MIT) have expressed interest in developing an online database of Arab/ic Shakespeare performance. The site would be modeled on and linked to its recently launched site on Shakespeare Performance in Asia (SPIA, http://web.mit.edu/shakespeare/asia/) The Shakespeare Electronic Archive is also developing new archives in Brazil, India and other areas.
The Asia site is still in development, so it is too early to know exactly what a proposed Arab World companion site might include. Participants can expect to have significant input into the design. That said, here are some possibilities (all would be indexed and searchable):
- video clips from contemporary or older productions of Shakespeare plays and adaptations (and complete videos of selected productions)
- brief summaries of significant Shakespeare productions and adaptations
- a database of reviews (in both Arabic and English)
- interviews with directors and actors, both young and more established, who have engaged seriously with Shakespeare
- script excerpts of unpublished Shakespeare adaptations and important out-of-print Shakespeare translations
- a bibliography of important scholarly work on Arab Shakespeare and Arab theatre more generally (in Arabic and English, with hyperlinks when articles are available online)